As a result of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act a number of safety measures have been put into place at all schools, including Plato Academy to comply with new legislation, which has resulted in changes to the daily operations at all our campuses. All staff have and will be participating in safety training before students begin and will continue to do so throughout the school year.
Summary of changes:
* Students will participate in monthly age-appropriate active assailant training.
* Each campus will have a Guardian Security Officer on site.
* All Plato Academy staff will be trained annually on Run-Hide-Fight by law enforcement.
* All exterior gates must remain locked during school hours .
* Parents will be allowed to walk students to classrooms the first week of school, Aug. 13-17, only. Beginning on Aug. 20, parents must drop off their children at the front gate, front office or car circle.
* All visitors must be cleared to enter the secure area of the school and be escorted by a member of staff while on campus (the exception being volunteers with level 2 state clearance).
* Plato Academy Schools have added additional counselors.
* Our schools will be implementing a partnership with Sandy Hook Promise. Their mission is to promote research-based programs and practices to help protect children from gun violence in homes, schools and communities.
* New student crime watch programs will be in place at every campus.